The main focus of our research group is the development of disease models and new therapies based on the results of patient tissue analysis. Particular attention is paid to regeneration disorders (chronic ulcers, chronic fibrous diseases).
* Regenerative biology - the role of progenitor cells in regeneration of tissues.
* Extracellular matrix - the role of ECM in modulating the activity of stem and differentiated cells during organ regeneration.
* Stem cell niche - the composition and functions of immediate microenvironment surrounding stem/progenitor cells.
* Tissue engineering - generation of miniature artificial organs for research and applied purposes
* Skin maintenance and regeneration. Skin pathologies with altered regenerative potential (eg chronic ulcers)
At the moment, the activities of the research group are paused and no new thesis topics are offered to students.
• Klaas, M., Mäemets-Allas, K., Heinmäe, E., Lagus, H., Arak, T., Eller, M., Kingo, K., Kankuri, E., & Jaks, V. (2022). Olfactomedin-4 improves cutaneous wound healing by promoting skin cell proliferation and migration through POU5F1/OCT4 and ESR1 signalling cascades. Cellular and molecular life sciences : CMLS, 79(3), 157.
• Klaas, M., Mäemets-Allas, K., Heinmäe, E., Lagus, H., Cárdenas-León, C. G., Arak, T., Eller, M., Kingo, K., Kankuri, E., & Jaks, V. (2021). Thrombospondin-4 Is a Soluble Dermal Inflammatory Signal That Selectively Promotes Fibroblast Migration and Keratinocyte Proliferation for Skin Regeneration and Wound Healing. Frontiers in cell and developmental biology, 9, 745637.
• Klaas, M., Möll, K., Mäemets-Allas, K., Loog, M., Järvekülg, M., & Jaks, V. (2021). Long-term maintenance of functional primary human hepatocytes in 3D gelatin matrices produced by solution blow spinning. Scientific reports, 11(1), 20165
• Klaas, M., Mäemets-Allas, K., Lõhmussaar, K., Tooming, M., Viil, J., & Jaks, V. (2020). Endogenous beta-galactosidase activity marks a TREM2-expressing Kupffer cell population in injured livers of Lgr5-LacZ and wild-type mice. FEBS letters, 594(5), 958–970
• Viil, J., Klaas, M., Valter, K., Belitškin, D., Ilmjärv, S., & Jaks, V. (2017). A label-retaining but unipotent cell population resides in biliary compartment of mammalian liver. Scientific reports, 7, 40322
• Klaas, M., Kangur, T., Viil, J., Mäemets-Allas, K., Minajeva, A., Vadi, K., Antsov, M., Lapidus, N., Järvekülg, M., & Jaks, V. (2016). The alterations in the extracellular matrix composition guide the repair of damaged liver tissue. Scientific reports, 6, 27398.